Call us now: 817-566-0348

Buying a Silencer

What is a silencer?

A silencer is a device attached to the barrel of a firearm which reduces the amount of noise (sound) and the muzzle flash when firing the gun. 

What is the difference between a silencer and a suppressor?

Very simply, nothing at all.  The terms silencer and suppressor are used interchangeably. The term suppressor may be more accurate because no mechanism will completely silence the sound made by firing a gun.  But the term silencer is more recognized.

Can I own a silencer?

To own a silencer, you must be:

1.       A Legal United States resident

2.       21 years of age or older

3.       No felony record

4.       Live in one of the 39 states that allow private ownership of silencers


Why own a silencer?

A silencer can increase accuracy while reducing recoil and muzzle flash.  This, in turn, reduces shooters’ fatigue and prolongs shooting enjoyment.  Silencers reduce the noise generated when firing the weapon, thereby lessening the damage to hearing.  Firearms with silencers are less disturbing to people and wildlife around you.


How do I buy a silencer?

Purchasing a silencer does not have to be an intimidating process.  It is very simple, but you will need to address several issues before your purchase.


Step 1: Eligibility

Are you a legal resident of the United States and not a felon?

Are you 21 years of age or older?

Do you live in one of the 39 states that allow private ownership of silencer?  (Remember to check local laws and ordinances to make sure you can legally own a silencer in your area)

  • If you answer yes to all these, questions, proceed to Step 2.
  • If you answer no to ANY of these questions, STOP. You may not possess a silencer.


Step 2: To Trust, or Not To Trust

After you determine that you can legally own and possess a silencer, you should carefully consider how you are going to register your new silencer. 

There are 3 ways in which you might register your silencer.  Each way has its benefits and disadvantages, and only you can determine the best method for your particular situation:                                                 

     1. Register your silencer in your own name:

  • This is a great option for people who don’t plan to buy many NFA items and who will always be present when the silencer is being used.
  • The benefits to registering your silencer in your own name are purely financial.  You will avoid the upfront paperwork and attorney’s costs to create a trust.  But what you save in money, you lose in time.  Silencers registered to individuals can only be possessed by the registered person, and the registration paperwork has to be submitted hard-copy to the BATFE.  You will also need the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of your city/county to sign off on the registration application.  Fingerprint cards are also required when you submit your application to BATFE.

     2. Register your silencer in the name of a trust: †

  • For those that want more flexibility and less wait time, registration to a trust is a very good method.  Any trustee in the registered trust may possess the silencer, as long as that trustee meets eligibility requirements, and you only need to create one trust for all your NFA goodies.
  • Registration to a trust eliminates the need for a Chief Law Enforcement Officer signature and fingerprint cards.
  • The biggest benefit of using a trust is the ability to electronically file your application with the BATFE.  Electronic submission can knock MONTHS off the processing time.  The only drawback to using a trust is the cost of initial trust set-up.  You can choose to set up a trust yourself, use an online source, or hire a gun trust lawyer, all dependent on how much your budget will allow.

     3. Register your new silencer to a corporation:

  • If you already have a corporation established, this may be a viable option for you.
  • The benefits are the same as a trust, but without the financial burden of lawyer & set-up fees.  Just remember that you must keep your corporation in good legal standing, like board meetings and tax filings.


Step 3: Shopping - I have chosen how I want to register my silencer – Now what?

Buying a silencer online is just like buying a gun online:

  • Pick out your silencer.
  • Pay for your silencer.
  • If you live in Texas, we can ship directly to your house or place of business.  If you are not a Texas resident, you will need to choose a FFL in your area that is a Class 02 or Class 03 dealer and can take care of your NFA transfer.  If you do not know of a FFL in your area, we can help you find one.
  • You won’t be able to take possession of your silencer until the application and transfer process has been completed and approved through the BATFE.  Please contact us so that we can tell you the approximate wait time for application approval.  But any owner will tell you silencers are definitely worth the wait!


Final Shot, LLC
7921 Durgans Hill CourtFort Worth, TX76137US
Phone: 817-566-0348 Website: